Thursday, July 20, 2006

Beckett deal is a good idea

I'm not convinced Josh is our 'ace' of the future, however. He's getting a good deal for the next three years, the Sox aren't paying too much for a starting pitcher, he's only six months older than Papelbon. All signs are good for this deal.

Source:Boston Red Sox - Red Sox give Beckett three-year extension - Boston.com

"He threw the ball so well, I think Theo just gave him a three-year deal," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said in his postgame meeting with the media.

After reporters chuckled, he added: "No, I'm serious."

But after Schilling is done (and he's already said he's done at the end of this contract), I'm not convinced Beckett is going to be our ace going forward. If nothing else, the Red Sox need to find a co-ace to run with him. Either by from inside (Papelbon becomes a starter, perhaps) or from outside in a trade.

I don't see anyone on the horizon to become that co-ace from outside right now, but with another year to worry about it, I believe Theo Epstein will find someone.

No comments: