Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Questionable calls

I have some questions about some of the play calling by the Patriots on Sunday. Now, it's a given that I am not an expert when it comes to calling the right play on the football field. But I am puzzled by some things.

Why was Maroney fielding punts? When Corey Dillon got hurt, Maroney was the best back on the field. Why risk him in special teams play when you have more reliable players (Brown, for one) capable of doing the job?

Also, why not kick the field goal? I know it may have been hard to get to scoring range the second time around, but you still needed to score twice. Even Madden got that one (although, I have to admit, Madden seems to be making more sense this year?)

I'll be the first to admit that Belichick has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, and so these questions should not be seen as 'questioning' the coach. It's more about understanding what's happening.

No comments: