Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Celtics on the NBA dress code

In case you were wondering how your Celtics were reacting to the dress code being instituted by the NBA...

"I mean, it's cool," Ricky Davis said. "It's not real harsh. It just changes the image a little. Guys just got to grow up I guess. They're just trying to exclude some things. It's simple to me. Guys need to go out and buy some clothes and start something new."

Added Paul Pierce, "You knew it was coming in. I've got a couple of suits in the closet I've got to dust off. Hey, they make the rules; you've got to abide by them."

"At the end of the day when we really talk about our image it's going to be how we act more than how we dress," coach said. "I think San Antonio's the classiest team in the NBA, and not because of what they wear. It's because of how they act. To me, that's what is going to make our league more professional. A sportcoat on the bench is not a big deal. Some guys are going to have to spend some money, but that's not a big deal. I think it's a good rule. I think it's not a bad thing that we're trying to dress like professionals. It doesn't bother me."


Some players across the league had different opinions: “"It sends a bad message to kids,"” Iverson told the Philadelphia Inquirer last week.

"I don'’t see it happening unless every NBA player is given a stipend to buy clothes," Denver center Marcus Camby.

"Maybe if you earn less than eight million dollars you'’ll get a scholarship from the commissioner," Stern joked Tuesday.

My question is, do they realise how stupid they sound? I mean, how hard is it to wear a suit to work? And it is work. They aren't telling them what to wear outside of work. Only when they are making appearances where they represent the NBA.


In other news:
The point guard competition in Boston just became a little clearer as Marcus Banks is expected to miss at least the next six weeks due to a stress reaction in his left shin.



For anyone from blogazoo who took the time, here's a Gazoo for you.



No comments: