Friday, May 26, 2006

Red Sox are where they need to be

And it all comes down to pitching. They have a great 1-2 punch in Beckett and Schilling, along with a great closer in Papelbon.

I have to admit, I never saw the possibility of Jon Papelbon becoming a star closer, but that's because I was (and still am, btw) wedded to the idea of Papelbon becoming a starter. I want him out there for more innings than he's getting now. He could be the next Roger Clemens, not the next Mariano Riviera.

But the possibility of him moving back into the starting rotation gets slimmer every day. After Foulke blew up the other day and with Hansen getting 'stretched' out, it looks like the Red Sox have no plans to move Pap out of the bullpen.

So, is that ok? Will Red Sox Nation be alright with a rookie closing out games in the final days of the season? If we make it into the playoffs, will Jonathan make it all seem easy. Only time will tell. I have to admit, it makes me nervous, but not as nervous as I would be with Foulke out there closing out important games.

No comments: