Thursday, March 30, 2006

Orien Greene suspended

The Celtics suspended Orien Greene for one game with the possibility of more to follow. According to Rivers, the indefinite period will be determined today (radio interview). He will speak to Greene again today, after both sides have had a chance to cool off and make a less emotional decision.

Doc was extremely upset to hear that Greene was out at 3 AM driving at high speeds. "To me, breaking the law is one thing. That’s something you just shouldn’t do. Everyone’s gotten a speeding ticket, but the fact that he got it at 3:30 in the morning bothers me, too. I think athletes at times believe they’re invincible, but you have to have respect. Orien violated the rules, and he has to pay the consequences for it."

Green was arrested for failure to stop for an officer in Waltham after speeding at over 90 mph on Main Street. Police have stated neither drugs or alcohol were involved in the incident. The charges were dismissed after Green paid fines on each.

According to Doc: "I want these guys to be great players, but I also want them to learn how to be professional, to just be good people. I don’t know if that comes under my job title or not, but I believe it does. So when that stuff happens you have to take an action that you really don’t want to take."

No comments: